State Property Loss or Damage
Procedure for Insurance Recovery of Loss or Damages to Property
- Upon discovery of damaged property, notify emergency responders and protect the property from further damage if safe to do so.
- Notify the Office of Risk Management, Insurance Services at (301) 405-3960, immediately or within 24 hours following discovery of damages or loss. Use the University of Maryland Property Loss Claim Form to assist your reporting of loss or damage.
- For repair or replacement of damaged property, departments/units may issue Purchase Orders or use Procurement Cards, depending on the amount.
- Follow Procurement procedures for repairs requiring competitive bids.
- The UMD department/unit is responsible for paying the invoice when repairs/replacements are considered acceptable by the UMD department/unit.
- Be sure to include the claim number on all correspondence.
- Submit proof of payment to Risk Management/Insurance Services as soon as it is received.
Do not wait until everything is finished. The faster all proof is sent, the faster the claim can be processed.
- Submit paid invoice(s), Purchase Orders and P-Card statements via mail to:
ESSR, Seneca Building #812, 4716 Pontiac Street, Suite 0103, College Park, MD 20742 ATTN: Insurance Services Or scan and email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The STO reimburses the University for covered losses.
- Risk Management/Insurance Services will send the proof of the paid invoice(s) to the STO.
- Once all acceptable documentation is received, the STO will determine if the claim will be reimbursed.
- Risk Management/Insurance Services will notify and reimburse the UMD department/unit via a Journal Voucher.
- Reimbursement is typically available in a few weeks.