Skip to main content

Motor Vehicle

After the Accident

  1. Within 24 hours, the accident must be reported to the Department of Environmental Safety, Sustainability and Risk Insurance Coordinator, (301) 405-3961. You may fax the report at (301) 405-9294 or deliver the form in person. Motor Vehicle Accident Reporting Form may be found in the glove box in all State vehicles. Your supervisor must review and sign the form before it is delivered to ESSR.
  2. Bring the damaged vehicle to ESSR to have pictures taken; or, if you have access to a camera, take pictures of all angles including the license plate. Submit pictures to ESSR Insurance Coordinator.
  3. Obtain three (3) estimates and forward to Insurance Coordinator. These should be done within one week after the accident.
  4. If you are not at fault and the other driver's insurance carrier is trying to talk to you, direct the agent to the ESSR Insurance Coordinator. Under no circumstances sign or agree to fault regarding the accident.
  5. All questions should be directed to:
    Insurance Coordinator
    Department of Environmental Safety, Sustainability and Risk
    Seneca Building #812
    4716 Pontiac Street, Suite 0103
    College Park, MD 20742-3133
    Phone: (301) 405-3961
    FAX: (301) 314-9294

Facts You Should Know if You Were Driving a State Vehicle Involved in a Motor Vehicle Accident

  • Motor Vehicle Accident Reporting Form should be in all State vehicles. This pamphlet includes a form that should be used to report accidents involving a State vehicle.
  • If you are found to be at fault in an accident, a $150.00 processing fee will be charged to your department regardless of how minor the damage is.
  • When you fail to enter all information in your "Motor Vehicle Accident Reporting Form" (located in each vehicle), the report will be incomplete and will delay the claim being processed in a timely manner. Upon receiving your report, the Department of Environmental Safety, Sustainability and Risk Insurance Coordinator must submit a claim to the State Treasurer's Office within 24-hours.
  • You must report ALL auto accidents regardless of how minor the damage is.
  • Vehicles must be repaired after an accident unless the department plans to scrap or sale the vehicle.
  • You should always check the vehicle before you get in it. If there is damage that was not there before, report it to your supervisor.
  • Damage to the inside of the vehicle (cigarette burns, holes in upholstery, damage to steering wheels, etc.) should be reported before you use the vehicle. Your department could charge you for damages.
  • State vehicles are to be used for University business only. If you have an accident while using a State vehicle for other than University business, the driver will be responsible for all damages to the State vehicle and any other damages incurred.
  • University Driving Rules

The University of Maryland expects their property to be utilized with care and respect. Please try to use caution and eliminate unnecessary accidents.

Risks and Liabilities of Automobile Use within the Scope of Public Duties

Learn More

15-Passenger Vans

The University no longer owns or rents any 15-passenger vans. If this is incorrect, and you know of any 15-passenger vans the university owns or rents please contact

Back to Top