Current UMD Scientific Divers
It is the responsibility of the scientific diver to maintain active status by meeting requirements and filing paperwork in a timely fashion, whether or not reciprocity is needed.
To maintain active scientific diver status:
- Submit a dive plan for any UMD scientific diving activity. A dive plan must also be turned in to the DSO before requesting reciprocity to dive with another institution.
- Submit a Vessel Operations Float Plan for any UMD scientific diving activity that involves boating.
- Keep your First aid, CPR, and oxygen provider training current as per the training agencies.
- Scientific divers must log a minimum of 12 dives per year, with at least one dive in a six-month period. In addition, maintaining depth certifications beyond 60 ft. requires at least one dive in a six-month period to a depth near that certification level.
- Submit dive logs to the DSO at the end of each month.
- Renew diving physical every 5 years (if under 40 years old); every 3 years (40 and older); every 2 years (60 and older).
- Successfully complete the HAZMAT Pressurized Cylinders online training every 3 years.
- When gear is serviced for repairs or annual maintenance, please retain required documentation, which may be requested by the Dive Safety Office.
- Report any diving injury or incident to the DSO as soon as possible.