Skip to main content

Workers' Compensation Frequently Asked Questions

What is Workers' Compensation?
Workers' Compensation insurance is a program established by State law which all employers having one or more employees, full or part-time, are required to have for the benefit of their employees. It is a no-fault system under which injured employees receive benefits in connection with work-related injuries or occupational illness. The Workers' Compensation Commission is the State Arbitration Board that ensures employees are given fair treatment in the event of a work-related accident or illness. For an injury to be considered compensable under workers' compensation, the injury must "arise out of and in the course of employment."

Who pays for Workers' Compensation Insurance?
Workers' Compensation Insurance is paid entirely by the employer. No payroll deductions are taken out of individual employees' paychecks.

What is the first step I should take if I am injured while working?
Make your supervisor aware of the incident immediately, seek medical treatment if necessary, then complete the Report of Injury form. Report of Injury forms can be found at:

Can I choose any doctor for an on-the-job injury?
Yes, if the injury is compensable; however, the employer reserves the right to refer you to a physician of the employer's choice and the employer's physician determines return to work status.
Note: Note: IWIF requires precertification for specialists, some diagnostics, and non-emergency surgical procedures.

If I am disabled and cannot work for a certain period of time, how will I be compensated for lost wages? 
If you are in a regular nonexempt or exempt employment status, you are eligible for accident leave immediately for up to six months after the injury date. Only
accidents, not occupational illnesses, are covered by accident leave.

What is accident leave?
Accident leave is monetary compensation paid by the UMD injured employee's department for time lost from work due to a work-related accident. The accident
must be (a) compensable under the Workers' Compensation Act, and (b) a physician examines the employee and certifies that the employee is disabled as a
result of the injury. IWIF approves the Accident Leave with the UMD Workers' Compensation Manager. Accident leave is two-thirds (⅔) of the employee's gross wages. State and federal taxes are exempt, but FICA is withheld from accident leave and is available for up to six (6) months from the date of injury.  Contractual, contingent, temporary, or hourly employees are not eligible for accident leave..

How can I be compensated if I am not eligible for accident leave?
If you miss more than three days from work and have a compensable claim, you will receive temporary total disability benefits from the University's Workers' Compensation insurance provider, IWIF.

What is Temporary Total Benefits?
Temporary Total Disability (TTD) is monetary compensation for time lost from work due to work-related accidents for employees (a) not eligible for accident leave or (b) when eligibility for accident leave has expired. IWIF, not the University, pays TTD. TTD is paid at the rate of two-thirds (⅔) of the employee's wages based on the 14 weeks of wages before the injury date. TTD provides compensation to the temporarily disabled employee until the physician states they may return to work or reach maximum medical improvement (MMI).

Is this compensation - Accident Leave or Temporary Total Benefits - the same as my salary?
No, it is two-thirds (2/3) of your gross wages, but non-taxable.

Who determines disability?
Your treating physician will determine the length of disability or any temporary work restrictions.

How do I handle my medical expenses?
Give your medical provider the following necessary information to process bills:

  1. Workers' Compensation Insurance name and address:
         P.O. Box 9899
         Towson, MD 21284-9899
  2. Your IWIF # (claim number):
         Call (301) 405-5466 to get your claim number
  3. Phone number to get pre-authorization for medical treatment:
         (410) 494-2444
  4. Provide your medical provider with the following IWIF contact information:
    • IWIF Precertification Fax: (410) 494-2079
    • IWIF Precertification email:

Note: IWIF requires precertification for specialists, some diagnostics, pain management, and non-emergency surgical procedures.

Do I have to comply if I am scheduled for an independent medical evaluation by the employer or the insurance company?
Yes. You will jeopardize your benefits if you do not comply.

What happens if I am returned to a limited duty capacity?
Provide your supervisor with the restrictions from your doctor. Your department should make every effort to accommodate your restrictions if possible. However, if the department is able to accommodate the restrictions and you refuse the temporary duties, you have to use your earned leave for time off.

What can I do if I receive notice from IWIF that my claim is denied?
You can file a claim with the Workers' Compensation Commission (

Note: The injury report form is not a claim.

What kind of benefits will I receive if I have a permanent disability?
You will receive weekly benefits for a specified period of time based on the type and extent of your permanent disability. Medical evaluations are usually required to establish the nature and extent of any permanent disability.

What is Fraud?
Fraud is intentional misrepresentation of a situation or a fact.

What number do I call if I have any questions or need advice?
Call (301) 405-5466

Back to Top