You are here

Workers' Compensation Important Definitions

IWIF makes the initial determination on compensability. If IWIF concludes that your injury is not compensable, you will be notified within 30 days of reporting the accident. You may contest this decision by filing a claim with the Workers' Compensation Commission. Such a claim must be filed within 2 years from the first day of disability for an accident, and for an illness, 2 years from a diagnosis or when symptoms first appear. Claim forms are available in the UMD Workers' Compensation Office.


Accident Leave

  • The University provides accident leave to employees who are injured on the job, have a compensable injury, and are in "Permanent Employment" status.
  • Accident Leave is 2/3 of the employees gross wages. It is available up to 6 months from the first day of disability. It is non-cumulative and non-taxable.
  • Accident Leave may be extended up to one year in severe cases, such as when the disability is continuous for 6 months. In order to receive this benefit, you must provide your department with medical documentation for your disability, every 2 weeks. Only accident, not occupational illnesses (e.g., repetitive motion injury), are covered by accident leave.

Temporary Total Benefits

  • If you are not eligible for accident leave and are losing time from work due to an injury that is compensable, you may be eligible for temporary total benefits. Call (301) 405-5466 if you are unsure this benefit applies to you.
  • Temporary Total Benefits is compensation paid by IWIF.
  • Temporary Total Benefits is also 2/3 of the employee's gross wages and is non-taxable.
  • To receive Temporary Total Benefits, you must file a claim with the Workers' Compensation Commission. Forms for filing a claim are available in the UMD Workers' Compensation Office.
  • Temporary Total Benefits compensates for lost wages only. If you as the injured employee, want to continue state subsidized benefits (e.g., health insurance, retirement, etc.), you must contact the Personnel Benefits Office at (301) 405-5654.