You are here


Researcher working on a glacier

All researchers should have access to a basic First Aid Kit in the field. Use our First Aid Checklist to make sure the first aid kit available in the field is adequately stocked.

Every researcher must also have a means of emergency communication. In areas with limited cell phone coverage, a radio or a satellite phone may be required.

Review the potential restrictions to taking equipment overseas on the Export Compliance Office Website. Travelers are advised to carry "clean laptops" that do not contain sensitive or proprietary technical information. If you are bringing a satellite phone, or carrying other high-tech equipment, utilize the Tools of the Trade exemption letter. This exemption is not available for travel to Iran, Syria, North Korea, Cuba, or Sudan which have special sanctions restricting travel activities. If you need to visit any of these locations or have questions about shipping equipment to foreign locations, please contact the Export Compliance Office for more information.

Personal protective equipment such as gloves, safety glasses, hard hat, or a respirator may be required for your field work. Use our Hazard Fact Sheets to identify PPE required for specific situations or activities. Our office can provide guidance on selecting appropriate personal protective equipment and other safety gear. Note that researchers wearing a respirator must be enrolled in the Respirator Protection Program.

University property insurance covers all university equipment whether in the US, abroad, or en-route to or from a field destination. Please contact your department business office to make sure your equipment is listed on the university inventory. Turn in the University of Maryland Property Loss Claim Form to Risk Management within 30 days of the loss/damage.