You are here
Fire Emergency Response
A fire emergency exists whenever there is the presence of smoke or the odor of burning, when there is an uncontrolled fire or imminent fire hazard in the building or surrounding area, when there is a spontaneous or abnormal heating of any material, or when the building evacuation alarm is sounding.
Clothing or Person on Fire
Stop, Drop, Roll
- Roll person around on floor to smother flames.
- Only drench with water if safety shower is immediately available.
- Obtain medical attention. Call 9-1-1 or 301.405.3333.
Fire Emergency Procedure
- Shut off all equipment and stabilize laboratory experiments if safe to do so.
- Activate the building fire alarm if it is not already sounding.
- Leave the building. Use marked exits. Do not use elevators.
- Call the Fire Department from a safe place.
- Dial 9-1-1 or 301.405.3333 or use campus emergency phones located throughout campus
Only use a fire extinguisher if the fire is very small and you know how to do it safely. If you can’t put out the fire, leave immediately and make sure the fire department is called. Total and immediate evacuation is safest. If you are not able to evacuate, get as far away from the fire as possible. Call 9-1-1 or 301.405.3333 to tell them your location.
All fires, including extinguished fires, must be reported to the fire department.
Laboratory Specific Information
Location(s) of FIRE EXTINGUISHER in this lab:
Location(s) of FIRE EXTINGUISHER in building hallway:
Location of TELEPHONE:
Location(s) of EXIT DOOR/STAIRWELL:
Location(s) of FIRE ALARM PULL STATION:
Location of nearest SAFETY SHOWER/EYEWASH:
Location of Assembly Area (outside the building after evacuation):